Monday, July 14, 2014

welcome to wherever you are

People know it. In their deep inner lives, they know what they ought to be doing. And they know it would improve the quality of life. The challenge is to develop the character and competence to listen to it and live by it - to act with integrity in the moment of choice.

DISCALIMER: Sorry about the sing-song font. Is Elani’s fault. Making my otherwise meh evening light up like Christmas lights from that street that Kevin used to live on in Home Alone.

Ah, there’s a certain joy in the Internet. And Wi-Fi. And YouTube. And a good sound system. And a new song. A new song that you love. And thus can’t stop listening to. I finally got round to Elani’s Kookoo, which I think is just the thing for a bland Monday evening with a large order from Martin my editor. The man doesn’t want me to have a life, and I keep having to remember the moolah is also nice to have…

I swear, I can’t stop listening to them, and I can’t stop smiling. This music is going to be the death of me. By the way Nancy and I are on the hunt for a star (or anyone really :)))))) who wants BGVs, so if you know any one, our numbers are 0723 XXX XXX and 0723 XXX XXX. Seriously, those are our numbers, and we’re looking for a guy. Does it hit you how much these afro urban stars love the word “kishua”, I swear it’s like every song. Ama it’s coz it’s easy to play around with… 

Also, when you listen to the lyrics of some of these songs it hits you just how uuuhhhmmm… nowhere-going some of the lines in the songs are. They just put them there coz they sound nice. But it’s hard, getting words with rhyme and rhythm and flow, and since I haven’t written a song, I’ll be quiet now. Before I too go Koo-koo.

Scatter-braininess. Where was I? Ah, yes indeed, home. I hadn’t begun talking about that yet, but no time like the present, si? My brother would probably say something wise and deep like don’t get too comfortable. But it’s hard not to, after you know years of temporarily nesting here, there and over yonder. The minute some semblance of settlement hits you grab it with both hands.

But I love how God works. I love how He pours one thing into the next, fits this piece to that one until you have one complete picture. I didn’t write this post on the day I should. I should wait for the call. But no, I’m writing it now. Before the call. Because I know in my heart the call will come. And my picture of home will be complete. For now.




I’m seriously going koo-koo-koooo so koo-koo right now… That song is something special. The transpose where Maureen comes in… It’s funny; I wouldn’t have noticed these things before. I would, I just wouldn’t say.

So call. I went to church yesterday. My new church. And I knew I was home. From the first song to the benediction. And the sermon about calling the things that be not as though they were. Hhhmmm…. And they sung a hymn I love, in Luhya!!!!!! Mouth>>agape>>silentscream>>clappyclapclap>>>doing my excited dance. Okay, it’s an uncoordinated series of jumps, but you know. It's just, this is a church in Westlands, singing a hymn in Luhya for special number. Where there's William McDowell and Sonnie Badu and Loyiso Bala and Joyous Celebration.

Anyhow, I love this because it’s an answered prayer. To find a home. Home church, home work, home live… That place I could just be for a while and know that this is exactly my space for the next while, until my next step comes up. So thank You Jesus.

Welcome Joy, to the rest of your life… Go koo-koo by all means. And then live. That’s the thing about novelty, it wears off fast, and then I won’t remember why I loved being here. It’s like having a new dress. After the excited dance and the debut and a couple of washes and wears, it’s just another dress. I hope I never forget why I loved the dress.

I will try to walk a blameless path, but how I need Your help, especially in my own home, where I long to act as I should.  ~The Bible~

The Starcherian before-meals prayer went something like “For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly grateful.” That’s my prayer. For what I am about to receive, may the Lord make me truly thankful.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in [their] hearts [of men], except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end. ~The Bible~ 


Koo-koo-kooooo… sorry, I fixate on novelty  J J

0 comments:

Post a Comment