Saturday, January 8, 2011

gold in the morning sun

Don Williams wrote the song 'I'm just a country boy' about a simple country boy who loved the prettiest girl in town, but never did have the courage to ask her to marry him because he didn't have the money to take care of such a girl. It's chorus went like:
'Cause I'm just a country boy,
Money have I none,
But I've got silver in the stars,
Gold in the morning sun,
Gold in the morning sun.
It's the last week of my holiday. I'm glad, because I spent it with people I love.I've seen most of those I had not seen for so long, it was simply delightful. I realised something out of all this, my wealth is in my friends. Kahlil Gibran said once that each friend represents a world in a person, a world not possibly born before this meeting, and only by this chance meeting could this world be born. And he also said that what one loves most in a friend may be clearer in their absence. The time-out I have had from most of my friends has wrought more clarity in its wake than destruction. A few of those whom I had previously given up on came back, perhaps to reawaken in me the old girl who would move heaven and earth for friend. I've got confidence, it's gonna be a good year. And if it gets tough, I've got behind me a host of people who would bear me up despite myself. And that, my friends, that is something worth treasuring. Don Williams' song has got a twist to it. This young man decided he wasn't gonna be married, now that though he loved her he couldn't take care of her. But who knows? Maybe she could have said yes if only he had asked. He didn't take a chance. I won't be like the country boy. Life has a way of giving you what you least expect. It may not always be a good thing, true, but it also isn't the worst thing ever, methinks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment