Sunday, May 22, 2011

i want a heart that forgives

I had a friend once, one of those people you just know are supposed to be your friend forever. She was as good as they came. Maybe she didn't have it all figured out, who does anyhow, but she always tried. Most of the time she didn't make it, but she would try again. All the odds were stacked against her, that one, and I mean every single one of them. She is perhaps one of the greatest people I know. Then one day we had a misunderstanding. I may not have been all right, but she was wrong, so anyhow we stopped talking. She was one of those people, I know she had a few friends, but almost none of them were available when she neeeded them to be, so almost always I was worried about her, with little I could do. I think about her, more often than I'd like,because I still worry. Love is not a switch you can just turn off. At the time we stopped talking I was so convinced that I was right, that I was justified, but now I'm just thinking, "Does it really matter?" 
Last Sunday in church we were learning about Jesus Christ's death, and the things He went through just before He died. He was betrayed by Peter, and before I just looked at that at face value, so I learnt something new. Of all His disciples, only Peter was over 30, like Him. In their time, anyone under 30 could not have inherited property, didn't pay tax and was not allowed to testify in court. So when Jesus was arrested, only Peter could have spoken out on His behalf. Imagine that, being denied by one of your best friends, the only one who could save your hide. I cannot imagine the extent of such pain, my disagreement with my friend dims a millionfold in comparison.
I ran into Kevin LeVar's song by chance, but it has got such powerful words that song. I want a heart that forgives:

I want a heart that forgives
A heart full of love
One with compassion just like Yours above
One that overcomes evil with goodness and love
Like it never happened, never holding a grudge
I want a heart that forgives that lives and lets live
One that keeps loving over and over again
One that men can’t offend
Because Your Word is within
One that loves without price, like You Lord Jesus Christ
I want a heart that loves everybody....even my enemies


I want to love like You, be like You, just like You did
I want a heart that forgives,


I want a heart that forgives!
When the ones that are closest, that I’ve known the longest, hurt me the most;
I still wanna love them just like You love me
Even though I’m hurting
I want a heart that forgives
When the pain is so deep, it’s so hard to speak, about it to anyone
Just like Your Son, I give up my right to hold it against them with hatred inside
I want a heart that loves everybody....even my enemies...
Those cliched people say that those who are closest to you more often hurt you the most. And betryal isn't easy to forget. But that pain, Jesus felt it too. And He gave up His right to hold it against them. I should too. Maybe she was wrong, maybe I was right, but the heart that loves like Jesus, it doesn't really care about that. Jesus didn't. And because He didn't neither should I. I should call her, my friend, I should call her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment