Thursday, July 28, 2011

death by hunger in this age?

I've never been politically inclined, the first vote I cast was last year during the referundum for a new constitution, and at next year's general election I don't even have an idea about who I'm going to vote for. But of late, thanks to my adamant-about-news-hour peers I've began to watch news, and the things that are going on!!!
It's a most painful death, dying of hunger, and today I saw people literally dying of hunger, and here we are making ugali and discarding whatever's left of it without a second thought. It's a wonder just how much we have been taught to ignore, to miss, how we can walk past that man sitting with a bowl on the street, how we can watch the news, blame our politicians and then go to bed and sleep sound. Now, I'm new into this having-a-political-opinion thing, but I think those people in government have always been, forgive me not, douchebags, they've always looked out for themselves and, but for divine intervention, shall continue to do so for a while. But like my good friend Iddi says, we're just as self-seeking. A nation is its people, we elect those douchebags, we gnash our teeth at them but then give them our vote next time they come back to ask for it, because the other candidate doesn't belong to the right gender, or tribe, or party. Once in a while, a new kid moves to the block, all fiesty, as Ababu Namwamba did, then the older kids threaten and/or buy their silence, and the vicious cycle begins. And secretly, we all wish for our chance to "eat". Because, as the Bible says, the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, no one can truly know it except the Lord Himself. You may want to say that if you went there you wouldn't do that, but I don't think that's really true. It's hard to turn down a bribe when everything's falling apart and you know your next month's payslip's going to read some negative value. Even if, like me, your greatest need as yet is a pair of shoes in every colour imaginable (especially pink). It's human, and we do need to be saved from ourselves.
Well, that we need salvation was not the point I was going to make, it's my point every time, but anyway, I don't think counting on our leaders to sort our country out may not bear fruit now, especially with elections coming up in a year. It's gotta start with me. I'm not particularly crazy about Bob Collymore, but what they've done with the Kenyans4Kenya, giving us an opportunity to help with whatever little we can, they've done well. I only wish I was able to do more. But I can do more, I can pray, because this country really needs healing that only the Lord can give.
So I'm going to take a stand, I'm going to stand in the gap on behalf of this nation. Christ made the vilest men clean, there is no situation so grave that His blood didn't already cover it. God will heal our land, He will restore our soil, He will send rain and the awesome part is that He doesn't really need the government to be on His side. Especially now that the government spokeman claims that this whole people dying of hunger thing is "the media exaggerating" gava haijui vitu kaa hizo (the govt is not aware). Jehovah sees, Jehovah knows. And so, with the words of David I pray
 1 Unto You I lift up my eyes,
         O You who dwell in the heavens.
 2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,
         As the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
         So our eyes look to the LORD our God,
         Until He has mercy on us.         
 3 Have mercy on us, O LORD, have mercy on us!
         For we are exceedingly filled with contempt.

Psalm 123, NKJV

0 comments:

Post a Comment