Thursday, July 14, 2011

a little ways down the road

There's this couple I saw on telly a few days back. They were really old (87 and 83), and get this, they had been married for 66 years!! Sixty six, imagine that! Even more impressive, she was enrolled in college taking some course or other, seriously HOW COOL IS THAT?!! But I got to thinking about my own marriage, something that in recent days happens more often than I'd like. These two looked beautiful, it's that picture we all want to be when we're eighty-some, sitting on the couch reminiscing about back in the day or even just saying nothing at all, just being.
Anyhow, Lady got married at 17, and as it stands I'm already five years behind her clock if ever I wanted to get to my 66th weding anniversary while still in full control of my cranial faculties ;) and even as we speak my prospects don't (yet) look too good ;)) Still, it don't stop me from dreaming, and hoping. After all, the Bible does say that hope does not disappoint, no?
I'd like to be 85 and taking a college course in something or other, still upright (literally and otherwise), still fiesty (Bless the Lord that He desires a meek and quiet spirit in a woman, but not necessarily a meek and quiet mouth!! ;)) And should it so please the King, still married to the same man I married in my youth. I'd love to  be going around the world with him, preaching  the love of Christ to those still unreached, being a mother to many sons and daughters in the faith, speaking words of grace unto those whose souls have been worn out by the storms of life.
If it pleases the King, I'd like, at the end of the day,  when tired from all the action, to retire to our home and rest with my husband,  listening to that boy go on and on passionately speaking of his dreams and ideas like he's 30 all over again, and to tell him that while they're the craziest ideas ever thought up, I still believe in him!! I'd like us to attend our great-grandchild's wedding, and to dance with him to some sweet old country number like "Love has been a friend to me" by Julio Eglesias. I'd like to still be flexible enough to get on my knees and pray for them; my children, and grandchildren and even their future generations.
And yes, should the Lord tarry in coming, and our time comes to enter into His rest, if the King so desires, I hope we go home together. Barring that, much as I may want to swallow these words come the day, I hope the Lord calls him home first. Knowing how clueless men can be, the picture of him trying to find out where I used to keep everything, trying to fix himself a meal or do his own laundry, sew a button.... well, I'd just wish he never has to. So, if the Lord so pleases, this is my desire. He says to delight in Him, and He shall give me the desires of my heart (Ps 37:4) and to commit my way unto Him with trust and He shall bring it to pass (vs 5)
So, yeah, dear Lord, these are my desires, insofar as they are Your will for me. Look upon them with many kindnesses (and also, I suppose, much much patience!!!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog...reading poems I read years ago is quite something....and you write really well!

Post a Comment